Tuesday, January 28, 2014

So frittata good!


It's Saturday morning, coffee in hand and my dad asks me what's for breakfast. Immediately I'm think, "what do we have that would qualify as breakfast?" Quiches are easy to adapt to what you have on hand but they can take almost an hour to make. What's quiche like but quick? A frittata!

As I understand it, it's an egg based Spanish dish eaten for any meal. Started in a skillet but finished in the oven, a frittata is easily adapted to whatever you have on hand.What I had in my fridge was sun dried tomatoes, fresh spinach, purple onion, avacado, and egg whites.

How did my creation come out? Fantastic! So good in fact, my father (who doesn't like to try new things) enjoyed it a lot! He wanted to know how to make it for himself, which is something he never does. So did some other friends after I posted pictures on instagram. So here you go! I hope you enjoy it!




Saturday Morning Frittata
1/4 cup medium chopped sun dried tomatoes
1/4 of a medium purple onion,finely chopped
Half of a ripe avocado, diced
Large handful of fresh spinach. 
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of eggs whites (I bought a carton from walmart but you could use probably 3 or 4 egg whites to equal this or just use whole eggs)
Cheese (optional)
Seasonings (however you normally season eggs)

*Your skillet will need to be oven safe for this dish. 

1.Preheat your oven to Broil 350 degrees. Saute the onions on medium heat until they are just starting to turn brown.
2. Toss in the Sun dried tomatoes and saute them until they are just starting to turn brown (You can substitute fresh tomatoes but I sun dried taste better to me for this).
3. Being careful not to add a bunch of water, add the spinach to the pan. It will look like too much for the pan but it will cook down quickly.
4. As your your spinach is wilting, mix your eggs & egg whites together (add your seasons now). As soon as your spinach has cooked down, pour the eggs in the skillet and stir the ingredients making sure everything is evenly distributed. Add you diced avocado now, making sure you evenly distributed it in the pan. 
5. Turn the heat down to low and let everything cook for about five minutes. You'll notice the bottom will cook through but the top will still be runny (if you are adding cheese to your dish, do that now).
6. Put your skillet on the top rack in your oven for another couple of minutes. You want the cheese to melt and the eggs to set before pulling it out of the oven.

You can serve it right out of the pan or plate it however you like. I eat mine with a little dijon mustard and a strong cup of coffee.

No comments: